Seat, Texas Panhandle
Highway 287 and 62/83
30 miles N of Paducah
30 miles NW of Quanah
116 miles SE of Amarillo
Population: 6,140 (2010) 6,778 (2000) 5,055 (1990)
a Pecan Shell
City and Henry were two towns only four miles apart.
1887: Childress County was organized and the Fort Worth and
Denver Railroad arrived the same year. Childress City was declared
county seat, but Henry contested and won. Henry then changed
its name to Childress.
1888: the first newspaper (Childress County Index) is published
1890: town is incorporated
1904: homicide in a saloon brings about prohibition
1910: Population goes over 5,000
1905-1906: Walter Chrysler was foreman of the railroad roundhouse
- he later founded Chrysler Motors.
1891: courthouse burns
1939: new permanent courthouse
1942: Childress Army Air Field is opened to train bombardiers
and also serves as a prisoner of war camp.
1945: Base is deactivated and eventually becomes the municipal
Texas Landmarks / Attractions
County Heritage Museum -
In former post office 3rd and C street
12 miles west of Childress on the Prairie Dog Fork of the Red River
don't let friends drink bad coffee!"
Photo courtesy Barclay
"The Palace Theater, opened in 1921, remained in business until
Photo courtesy Wes Reeves, 2005
by Mike Cox ("Texas Tales")
In the spring of 1938, a cowboy on the dodge rode into the Panhandle
railroad town of Childress.
A little short of cash, he approached Rufus Layton, manager of the
Palace Theater, about doing some work for him. Layton jumped
at the opportunity, offering him a healthy amount of money for Depression
times - $100.
For that kind of money, this cowboy wouldn't be taking tickets or
sweeping up stale popcorn. He'd be singing, playing a guitar and smiling
big. Layton must have been smiling big, too, because the cowboy's
name was Gene Autry. THE Gene Autry. ... more
- Book Here
Childress Economic Development Corporation
315 Commerce Street
PO Box 10, Childress, TX 79201
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact