a Pecan Shell
No trace of the
former community is left.
As shown on this early map, La
Tuna was once a stand-alone community. It is now included in the population
of “Greater” Anthony.
The community history is hard to come by, but the name La Tuna is
more closely associated with the Federal Prison here. Opened in 1932,
it was built to house prisoners from all over the Southwestern U.S.
A minimum-security prison “camp “was added in the late 1970s.
The prison, being a Federal facility also functioned as a post office
as illustrated in the rare postal cover (above) from the John
|El Paso County
1930s Highway Map showing La Tuna
(NW corner. On New Mexico State Line)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact