a Pecan ShellThe
community dates from 1881 when it was a switch on the Texas and Pacific Railroad.
It became a shipping point for oil in 1926 and in 1927 an oil discovery turned
the switch into a very active place. It was renamed after Fred Wickett, an oilman
who actively promoted his namesake town.
The community was granted a post
office and by 1933 there was a refinery at Wickett and a population estimated
to be 200.
The 1930s were a time of expansion and Wickett added a carbon
black plant and a gasoline refinery. The 1940 census counted 350 residents which
continued growing through the mid 1960s when it peaked at nearly 1,000 people.
The population declined thereafter, reaching 560 in 1990 and arriving at 455 for
the 2000 census.
County 1920s map showing Wickett (shown as Aroya) |
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
and vintage/historic/contemporary photos, please contact