|History in a Pecan
Settlement began in the 1840s. The original name had been Mudtown
but when a more dignified name was needed, they came up with Aquilla after early
resident Aquilla Jones.
A post office was opened in 1859 and in the late
1870s the Texas Central Railroad came close to Aquilla - close enough for businesses
and residents to move to the rails.
Aquilla had 175 residents in 1886 and by 1892 it was down to just 100. In the
late 1890s the town drilled a well to replace the creek water that they had been
using. By 1910 the population was up to 200 and four years later there were over
500 people with all essential businesses. By the late 1950s the population was
back to only 250 and it has since declined to 136.