City of Denton Historical Marker Text:Pioneers
settled this locality in the 1840's. In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Denton
county -- one of several carved from the Peters Colony grant. After trying other
sites, the voters in 1856 accepted for county seat this tract donated by Hiram
Cisco, William Loving, and William Woodruff. The city and county were named for
John B. Denton (1806-41), a minister killed while defending frontier settlers.
Woodruff, fellow surveyor C. C. Lacy, and attorney Otis Welch platted the townsite.
In 1857 city lots were auctioned, the post office opened, and a church was founded.
J. M. Blount, Joseph A. Carroll, W. F. Egan, and I. D. Ferguson were pioneer leaders.
A cotton gin and plants for making bricks, corn meal, flour and ice soon developed.
The "Monitor," a newspaper, began its career in 1868. Sam Bass (1851-78), legendary
western outlaw, trained and raced "The Denton Mare" while living and working as
a local farm hand. North Texas State University originated here as Texas Normal
College in 1890, and Texas Woman's University opened in 1903 as the College of
Industrial Arts. Agriculture-related businesses, education, and small factories
sustain the economy. The city grew from 1,194 in its first census (1880) to 39,874
in a Pecan Shell
County and town were named after preacher and Indian fighter John B. Denton
who was killed in 1841 at the Battle of Village Creek. 1857:
the town was founded
the first newspaper - The Denton Review is published
town is incorporated
both the Texas and Pacific and MKT railroads enter Denton
first public school is opened
North Texas Normal College opens - later becomes the University of North Texas
Women's University started life as The Girl's Industrial College
two universities make up half of the town's population.
The Denton State School opens
The Man from Oklahoma and Jazz: They Brought Academic Notoriety
to a Podunk Teachers College.
Leon Breeden and his One O’clock Lab BandThe
Great Airship Mystery
by C. F. Eckhardt
On April 13, 1897, in Denton, a man ‘stargazing’
with a pair of powerful field glasses spotted a dark object against the moon.
At first he assumed it was a meteor that had not yet hit earth’s atmosphere, but
then realized it was moving much too slowly. He described the object as being
about fifty feet long, cigar-shaped with two large ‘mugs’ sticking out from either
side, a ‘beak’ like a ship’s cutwater at the front, and a large rudder or steering
sail at the rear. Where the ‘beak’ joined the main body of the object there was
a light that ‘paled the moon’ in its brilliance. Along the body of the thing there
were more lights, which he assumed meant windows. No smoke was visible from the
object. It moved slowly, in a southeasterly direction, for about twenty minutes,
then accelerated ‘to terrific speed’ and vanished from sight. The sighting was
confirmed by a lady in Denton...
Texas Forum This
is a fantastic website and am thrilled to find it. Will share it with friends
and others, however, you have left out one of the best "visits" one can make during
your visit to Denton. |
The Denton County Historical
Museum Inc (established in 1979 in courthouse) moved in 1998 to the
Denton Factory Mall on I35 North exit 470. This museum is the one which created
and published the two brochures you mentioned about the Historical Markers and
Cemeteries of Denton County. This museum sold the name Courthouse on the Square
Museum to Denton County which the county now uses for its "county department"
created after the Denton County Historical Museum left the courthouse taking its
collection of history, 50,000 photographs of 1950s, historical family history
files including photographs 1800s forward, Denton County genealogy, wonderful
local history library, exhibits and knowledgeable staff with it. Hunt Oil company
provides the space for the Denton County Historical Museum. The gift shop has
local items and books for sale. Housed in the same open Mall is a 350 dealer antique
mall and other shops to round out the visit. The North Texas Area Model Railroad
Club has a display in one of the areas and is manned each Saturday from 10:00
am to 6:00 pm The Denton County Historical Museum Inc furnishes maps, family history
information and has a massive cemetery card file with additional notes which is
one of a kind. This museum is noted for its county and regional history and its
employees and volunteers who go the extra mile to help visitors. The tel number
is 940 380 0877 I am among the long time and strong supporters of the museum.
- GG, March 14, 2002
Texas Womans University houses the DAR
Museum of Texas Governor's wives' inaugural gowns. They are displayed publicly
with free parking and no fee to see. The local DAR chapter gives tours etc.
*The brochures you mentioned about the
Cemeteries and the Historical Markers were done by the staff of the Denton County
Historical Museum, Inc and their old information is on the brochures. The Senior
Citizen Volunteers operate this wonderful facilities. Thanks. - GG, March 14,