Visit to Lott|
History in a Pecan Shell
In 1889 when word
got out that the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad was heading through the
area the Texas Townsite Company bought land here. The railroad arrived the following
year and was named after railroad president Uriah Lott.
The post office
opened that same year (1890) and Lott was incorporated with a population given
as 200. Two years later the population had increased to 350 and the town had all
essential businesses including a weekly newspaper.
By the end of the decade,
Lott’s population reached 1,200 according to some estimates. The 20th Century
looked even better. Two banks opened in Lott (1903 and 1909) insuring financial
A State Highway was built through town in 1920s (which later
became Highway 77). The Great Depression hit Lott in 1933 when the First National
Bank of Lott closed its doors permanently. The population had declined into the
low 900s during the 30s, rising briefly past 1,000 in the 1940s and returning
below that figure in the 1950s.
Lott lost its railroad connection in 1967
and businesses continued to fold, following a trend started after WWII.
One photo shows a strip of old buildings that host an Antique
Mall now. Back in the 1970's it was state wide known for its housing a Western
Wear Store- "The Western Fair" was originaly small but as businesses closed next
door to it they would knock a doorway in the wall and add on. In it's prime days
it occupied most of these buildings. Each building had it own line- Jeans, Boots,
Shirts, etc... We traveled from the gulf coast just to buy the year's school wear
at cheaper prices.
Don't let a few photos of old buildings fool you, Lott
is still pretty active as it does have some modern businesses as well as a Dairy
Queen! - William
Beauchamp, August 2009