in a Pecan ShellOnce
known as “Snake Prairie,” a school opened under that name in 1868. A post
office was opened in 1871. Prussian immigrant Ed Rosanky had arrived in the 1850s
and when the railroad built through in the 1890s, it was Ed who donated the land
for the depot.
The post office, which may or may not have been known as
Snake Prairie, had been changed in 1884 to Eagle Branch. Discontinued in
1889, the post office reopened in 1891 and was renamed Rosanky in 1893.
The population reached 100 residents in 1896 and 250 by 1909.
during the 1920s was reported at 250, falling to 190 during the Great Depression
and remaining there through the late 1960s.
It’s now back up to 250. Most
of Rosanky’s population works in nearby Bastrop
TE photo, April 2010
encounter with the caracara|
photo, April 2010
of Rosanky has a world class auto museum. - Ralph Holle, September 13, 2010
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact