TexasEscapes.com 
HOME : : NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : BUILDINGS : : IMAGES : : ARCHIVE : : SITE MAP
PEOPLE : : PLACES : : THINGS : : HOTELS : : VACATION PACKAGES
Texas Escapes
Online Magazine
Texas Towns A - Z
Over 2600 Towns
Book Hotels
Texas Towns by Region
  • Texas Hill Country
  • Central Texas North
  • Central Texas South
  • South Texas
  • East Texas
  • West Texas
  • Texas Panhandle
  • Texas Gulf Coast
  • Texas Ghost Towns
    Over 700 Ghost Towns
    Texas | Buildings | Courthouses

    SAN JACINTO COUNTY COURTHOUSE
    County Seat - Coldspring, Texas

    San Jacinto County has had two courthouses:
    1871 and 1917
    San Jacinto County Courthouse (SE corner)
    Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, December 2006

    Present San Jacinto County Courthouse
    - Coldspring, Texas

    Date - 1917
    Style - Classical Revival
    Material - Brick

    Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

    History
    Historical Marker

    SAN JACINTO COUNTY COURTHOUSES

    By Terry Jeanson
    When San Jacinto County was created in 1870, the county seat of
    Coldspring (known earlier as Coonskin and Fireman’s Hill) had already been around for over twenty years. The Carnes Hotel was used for court proceedings until a Victorian style two-story wood frame courthouse was completed in 1871. Builders Thomas and Werner from Fort Worth were paid $8,000 for its construction. A separate wood frame grand jury building was later built. In 1887, a brick jail was built across from the courthouse. The jail was expanded in 1911 and continued to be used until 1980. In 1895, a one-story brick records vault was built behind the courthouse, similar in architecture to the 1887 jail. This building stood until it was demolished in 1980, but the 1887 jail is still standing.

    On March 30, 1915, fire destroyed the courthouse and many of the other surrounding buildings, but the county records were saved in the records vault. Unhappy with the town site, the people of Coldspring relocated the town to higher ground, ¼ of a mile southwest of the town’s original location and planning began for the construction of a new courthouse. Architects Roy E. Lane of Waco and Wilkes A. Dowdy of Houston, who were partners for a brief time, were hired to design the new courthouse. (Lane was best known for his partnership with Sanguinet and Staats in the design of Waco’s ALICO building, completed in 1911. Dowdy worked for the Houston office of Sanguinet and Staats and was appointed city architect of Houston in 1921.) The firm of Price & Williams was hired as the contractors, but the county would go through two more contractors before the courthouse was completed.

    Designed in the Classical Revival style, the courthouse was built with locally fired brick. The entrances on each side had large entry stairs and Corinthian columns topped with corbelled brick capitals that reached the roof. A small penthouse was built in the center of the roof (a dome or clock tower was not within the budget) with a glass skylight below it over an interior central rotunda with concentric staircases. The courthouse originally had a jail in the basement with a winding staircase that led to the original location of the witness stand and judge’s bench in the second floor district courtroom. When the courthouse was completed in 1917, the post office relocated there and remained in the courthouse for ten years. By the time the courthouse was finished, most businesses and residences had relocated to the new town site which served to boost the development of the town.

    In 1937, a WPA improvement plan led to changes in the courthouse’s original exterior architecture. The deteriorating Corinthian columns and corbelled brick capitals were removed and replaced with white Doric columns and pediments. Later renovations in the 1950s and in 1975-76 altered the interior, including the addition of tile floors and wainscoting, the lowering of the interior ceilings to install central heat and air conditioning and new lights and the partitioning of existing offices to create more office space. The original stained glass light in the rotunda was removed in 1990.

    Despite the modifications over the years, the 1917 San Jacinto County courthouse still dominates the town of
    Coldspring and continues its role as the seat of county government.
    - Terry Jeanson, February 8, 2011

    Source: The Texas Historical Commission County Atlas at http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/shell-county.htm, National Register of Historic Places - San Jacinto County Courthouse and the San Jacinto County Jail & Old Records Vault Building
    San Jacinto County Courthouse (SW corner) today
    Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, December 2006
    San Jacinto County Courthouse, Coldspring, Texas 1939 old photo
    San Jacinto County Courthouse as it appeared in 1939
    Photo courtesy TxDoT
    San Jacinto County Courthouse, Coldspring, Texas 1945 old photo
    San Jacinto County Courthouse at a later date
    Photo circa 1945 courtesy THC
    San Jacinto County Courthouse, Coldspring, Texas
    San Jacinto County Courthouse
    Photo courtesy Melodee Arrendell, 2007
    Photographer's Note:
    Subject: San Jacinto County Courthouse

    We have a large annual Christmas celebration the second Saturday of December with a lighted parade, free entertainment all day with bands, dancers, singers, crafts, shopping, and food. This picture is the courthouse decorated for Christmas. - Melodee Arrendell, November 17, 2007
    San Jacinto County Courthouse, Texas historical marker
    The historical marker incorrectly lists architect "Dowdy" as "Dabney."
    - Terry Jeanson Photo
    Historical markter text
    SAN JACINTO COUNTY COURTHOUSE
    A fire in 1915 destroyed the San Jacinto County courthouse. Landowners donated land at this site and relocated the center of county government to "new town" Coldspring. The county hired builders Price and Williamson to construct the new courthouse based on plans by the Houston firm of Lane and Dabney.* It was constructed in 1916-17 of brick fired locally from local clay. Merchants and citizens followed the courthouse to the new location, and by 1925, "old town" Coldspring was deserted. Repairs in 1936 modified its appearance somewhat, but the courthouse retains elements of its original Italian Renaissance design in its arched doors and windows on the east and west elevations.

    Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000

    *should read Dowdy
    "West side entrance. The Doric columns and pediment replaced the original Corinthian columns and corbelled brick capitals."
    - Terry Jeanson
    "The rotunda inside the courthouse. A map of Texas is displayed in green tile in the center of the rotunda with San Jacinto County outlined in red tile." - Terry Jeanson
    See Coldspring, Texas
    More Texas Courthouses

    Area Hotels - Book Here & Save
    Huntsville Hotels
    Custom Search
    TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
    HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | HOTELS | SEARCH SITE
    TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

    Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
    TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

    Texas Attractions
    TEXAS FEATURES
    People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
    COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

    TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
    Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
    Vintage Photos

    TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | USA | MEXICO

    Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
    Website Content Copyright ©1998-2011. Texas Escapes - Blueprints For Travel, LLC. All Rights Reserved
    This page last modified: May 1, 2011