named Burton and Danforth platted the community around a flowing well
in 1909. A post office opened the following year and remained open
through 1923. Before WWI,
population estimate was 60 residents served by a single store.
Population figures are unavailable for the first nine decades. They
did have the necessary amenities of a town - including a hotel. It
is regarded as “a dispersed rural community.” An estimated count of
134 residents was recorded in 2000.
Residents seem to have used cemeteries in Falfurrias
since none are shown in the Flowella vicinity.
| Brooks County
map showing Flowella
Modification of Texas General Land Office 1920s map
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact