The Scotus College, next to Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church|
Jeanson, July 2010
in a Pecan Shell
The county was named after James Stephen Hogg, the Governor of Texas. Like
Jim Wells County, the familiar Jim in lieu of James reflects the less formal attitude
of Texas south of San Antonio.
Be thankful it's not Jimmy Hogg.
The town dates from 1883 when the Texas
Mexican Railroad built through the area. Francisco Pena was the stationmaster
at the railroad stop he modestly named Pena. He refused to sell a right-of-way
to the railroad, so they loaded the station onto a flatcar and moved it to land
owned by rancher James Hebbron.
became the county seat with a unanimous vote of 176. Mr. Pena's reaction was not
mentioned in our source.
| || |
"This is a photo of my half great-uncle James R. Hebbron. A copy of this
photo hangs in Hebbronville's courthouse. J.R. was born in London, England in
1828 and spent much of his time in the US in what later became Salinas, California.
However, he did much to develop cattle ranching around Hebbronville for a time.
He finally died, aged 98, in 1926!"
- Chris Hebbron, June 20, 2006
Marker Text |
from Brooks and Duval Counties
Created March 31, 1913
Named in honor of James
First native Texan to serve as governor
Father of the Railroad Commission
Hebbronville, the county seat
Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church|
Photo courtesy Terry
Jeanson, July 2010
Franciscan Seminary with modest neighbors in foreground.|
During the 20s and 30s - the anti-Catholic Mexican government
caused a Franciscan Seminary to relocate to Hebbronville. It remains the most
impressive edifice in Hebbronville, including the courthouse. It is still owned
by the Archdiocese of Guadalajara, Mexico.
L - A Piggly Wiggly Ghost Sign in downtown.|
R - South Texas signage humor
boxcar lettering is|
a reminder of Hebbronville's beginning.
former Spanish Revival Gas Station|
Left - Hebbronville's sunshine has given Marilyn a slight tan|
Center - Hebbronville's
Right - Jim
Hogg County courthouse