in a Pecan Shell|
Frankel City began life as Fullerton
since it was the Fullerton Oil Company who drilled the discovery well that opened
the field. The year was 1941. By the end of 1945, there were over 100
producing wells and families of the workers were set up in living quarters.
The town was renamed after the Frankel Brothers Oil Co. when the town got its
post office in 1948.
The Handbook of Texas reports that
the post office closed in 1976 and that by the 1980s the population of Frankel
City was only 11 people.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact