|History in a Pecan
First known as Krause Settlement (after storekeeper George
Krause) when it was settled in the late 1850s, Anhalt may have been named after
a place in Germany or is a derivative of a German word for a “stopping place”
– descriptive of the store or the post office it contained. The Anhalt post office
closed its doors in 1907.
The Germania Farmers Verein was organized here
in the 1870s for the protection of members' livestock. This organization later
expanded to include insurance for members and to serve social functions of the
German settlers. Germania Insurance continues in business to this day with it’s
headquarters in Brenham, Texas.
In 1887 a meeting hall was built at Anhalt for social functions. Although
there are no population figures available, it appears residents have always been
few. Expanded in the mid 1890s, the Anhalt Hall became the center of seasonal
celebrations and musical events.
A peeling painted sign on Highway 46
notes the town while a more freshly painted sign announces a Maifest. The road
appears to be a long cul-de-sac, terminating at a cattle guard and locked gate.
There are several nearby cemeteries shown on the Comal County map – one of them