Texas Escapes
Online Magazine


Texas Ghost Town
Williamson County, Texas Hill Country
Formerly on FM 971 - Now under Lake Granger
6 miles E of Granger
50 miles NE of Austin
22 miles NE of Georgetown

Population 0

Friendship, Texas Area Hotels > Austin Hotels

 Conoco Gas Station, Friendship, Texas old photo
Gilberts Grocery / Conoco Gas Station
Photo courtesy Richard Steffek
History in a Pecan Shell

Friendship and a nearby town called Old Friendship (AKA Allison) were founded in the 1880s. According to information provided by Harold Grinstead, the land was first settled by Elihu Creswell Allison in 1847. Allison was partially destroyed in a 1921 flood.

In the 1970s it was decided to impound the waters of the San Gabriel River. Laneport Dam (the original name) was the result. It was renamed Granger Dam some time later. Graves in the Friendship Cemetery were reinterred at other cemeteries and the Friendship school consolidated with Granger schools in 1958. The former Friendship Community holds a reunion every year on the third Saturday of October.

Friendship Floods >
Friendship - Town Layout & Old Photos >
Granger Lake, Friendship, Texas
Granger Lake from the park - more or less where Friendship once was.
TE Photo, 9-04
Contributor Bob Mohel, a former resident of Friendship, has sent in newspaper clippings with information on the various floods that plagued this part of Williamson county. The clippings were used to assemble the information below.

The San Gabriel River flooded in 1913, causing widespread damage and even wrecking a train on the M.K.& T. railroad bridge at Berry's Creek. The biggest flood came in 1921 and a third destructive flooding occurred on February 22, 1958. The dam was constructed in the late 1970s.

The Deadly Flood of 1921

The rain started at 6 p.m. on September 10, 1921 and continued until 6 a.m. on September 11th. Although no official measure was mentioned - it was estimated that 50 inches of rain fell. One Henry Rozacky (who was 83 when he gave his report to the paper) had no trouble recalling the soggy events. He reported that a "dry and empty" 50 gallon drum in his backyard was overflowing about 2 a.m. and that the lightning was giving everything a greenish tinge. He reported that the blacksmith shop was washed away and that the general store was a total loss. He and a neighbor rescued 26 bales of ginned cotton that were bobbing away from the gin. In Mr. Rozacky's words: "You'd be surprised how readily 500 and 600 lb bales of cotton can float." He continued: "we got hold of them and pushed them before us until we reached a hill at the old Brookshire place. "...and you know, no one gave us a dime for their bales as they came to take their own." "One man tied a bale onto a tree and after the waters receded that bale was suspended in mid-air."

The flooding wasn't just in Friendship, either. Further west, the waters took out the North San Gabriel River bridge in Georgetown.

A family of three in Friendship lashed themselves to a tree but all drowned. Twenty-six people were trapped at Laneport - when they were "engulfed" by the flood. All were later found drowned - and Mr. Rozacky said he helped construct the twenty-six coffins. Rozacky went on to say that "not a single bridge of any type was left standing." "The bridge across the San Gabriel at Hoxie was swept away and the railroad tracks at Circleville stood on end in an arc." One house (the C.B. Arnold home) was carried downstream and deposited "where it now stands." Several other homes were involuntarily moved great distances by the surge of water.

After the rains, mud was everywhere -- its quantity nearly matched by its depth. With the bridges gone, horses became the best method of transportation. One man on horseback sank up to his saddle and had to be pulled out by a block and tackle. Scores of domestic pigs turned feral and had to be shot.

The old iron bridge at Hoxie was moved to Wilson H. Fox Park on Lake Granger and became part of the nature trail.

Finally it was decided that it just wasn't worth it - if the water wanted Friendship so bad - let the water have Friendship. In the summer of 1977 the spillway for the dam was constructed.
John Troesser
Friendship TX - Friendship sign
The old Friendship Sign
Photo courtesy Richard Cadan

Friendship - The Town Layout

Based on a drawing provided by Bob Mohel, the town of Friendship straddled Farm to Market Road 971 - the town's only paved street. The north side of 971 had the school, seed house, gin and scale. The southside had several residences along with the blacksmith, the Baptist church, gas station, the Mohel "Beer Joint" and Bob's Barbecue Shack.
Friendship, Texas Forum:
I lived in the Friendship community until the dam was built and it was swallowed by Granger lake. I knew Mr. Richard Caden who contributed many of the pictures on the web site. [Here are two more photos.] One is of the Friendship Baptist Church and the other one is of the Friendship store, Gilbert's Grocery, the friendly store while it was still in operation. The Conoco gas pumps are there. Thank you. - Richard Steffek, May 18, 2011
"Close up of store front prior to its being moved
(Note gas pumps are already gone.)"

Photo courtesy Richard Cadan
More Texas Gas Stations
Luck sisters, Friendship, Texas
The Lucky Sisters
(Dorothy and Gladys) in front of the original Friendship gas station

Photo courtesy the Lucky Family
Texas - Friendship School  In Snow
The Friendship School blanketed in snow.
Courtesy Tony and Martha Machalek.
Texas - Friendship School , community center, polling place
"The last standing building of the Friendship School. Was used as a community center and was our polling place."
Photo courtesy Richard Steffek
More Texas Schoolhouses
Emil's Place, Friendship, Texas
Emil's Place with Mr. Emil Mohel left of door.
Photo courtesy Hattie Mohel Gaida
Bill Michalek and dog, Friendship, Texas
Bill Michalek with dog. Mrs. Michalek taking photo.
Photo courtesy Tony and Martha Machalek
Friendship Texas - Friendship Baptist Church
"Driving East into Friendship.
The Friendship Baptist Church is on the right."

June 1971 photo courtesy Richard Steffek
Friendship Texas - Friendship Baptist Church
Friendship Baptist Church
Photo courtesy Richard Steffek
More Texas Churches
"East side of the Friendship gin and cotton seed house. The white house on the left was the home of the gin's operator, Mr. Henry Rozacky Sr. "
July 1968 photo courtesy Richard Steffek
The Friendship Gin
(Tower used to take following 2 photos)
Photo courtesy Richard Cadan
More on Cotton / Cotton Gins
Friendship Ginners House Lower left.
Photo taken from water tower.
Photo courtesy Richard Cadan
Entering the Gin yard at Friendship,
and the road west to Granger.

Photo courtesy Richard Cadan
Friendship TX - Road  to Friendship, Texas
"The Road Going East into Friendship"
Photo courtesy Richard Cadan
Friendship Today
Texas Granger Lake, view from FM971 bridge
Inlet to Granger Lake - View from the FM 971 Bridge
TE Photo , 9-04
"Slow Children" sign
A sign in the park today.
TE Photo, 9-04
Book Hotel
Georgetown Hotels
More Hotels
Friendship, Texas Area Towns:
Related Topics:
Texas Hill Country
Texas Towns A to Z
Texas Ghost Towns

Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic photos, please contact us.

Custom Search
Austin Hotels
Find Hotel Deals in Austin, Texas
Book Here

Georgetown Hotels
Find Hotel Deals in Georgetown, Texas
Book Here

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Attractions
People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
Vintage Photos


Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes. All Rights Reserved