in a Pecan Shell
This Farwell was
named after the same man as the Farwell
in Parmer County.
John V. Farwell was a Chicagoan who headed the syndicate that financed
capitol building in Austin.
It’s a shame that this Farwell couldn’t prosper. It’s not like they
didn’t try. Besides being the first “town” in Hansford County (1880),
they centered it geographically (according to state law) and even
had a 200 foot deep hand-dug well installed.
Farwell gets credit for starting Hansford County’s first newspaper.
At its peak, Farwell had most essential businesses including a hotel.
It was granted a post office in 1887, although it was moved to Hansford
in 1894. That may be one reason Farwell lost the election for county
seat in 1889 to Hansford.
Its decline was immediate as businesses and residents departed for
the new county seat.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact