in an Oil Can
Once known as Ingerton, Texas, the site was near a school on
the Yake Ranch. In the 1920s an oil camp set up here along the tracks
of the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway.
Despite its unimaginative name, the town had every intention of thriving.
A new school was built, a depot was added and more importantly, a
post office was granted in 1927.
But even with a railroad connection, the writing was on the wall.
The post office closed its doors when the paint was barely dry (1929).
The school managed to stay open until after WWII
when it merged with schools in Stinnett.
As the Great Depression was winding down Oil City was too. In 1940
there were only 40 Oil Citizens served by a single business. The railroad
was abandoned in 1972 and by then nearby Sanford
and Stinnett offered work (and companionship).
County 1940s map showing Oil City
Near Moore County line
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact