Bridge. Photo courtesy TXDoT|
county was organized in 1879, with Willliamsburg, 6 miles north of Throckmorton,
as the county seat. Throckmorton became the county seat in 1890
as 1890 the town only had 124 residents and although it doubled in population
from 1910 to 1920, it wasn’t until the mid 1930s when it reached 1,135. The 1950
Census reported 1,319 residents which declined to 1,105 for 1970.
remains the center of all county activities and commerce.
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, April 2009
County Marker Text|
from Fannin and Bosque counties.
Created January 13, 1858.
Named in Honor of Dr. William Edward Throckmorton, 1795-1843, a
revolutionary soldier. Father of James
Webb Throckmorton, who became Governor of Texas in 1866.