in a Pecan ShellOriginally
called Maud after a popular citizen, the town evolved from the humble building
of its first store in 1893. The following year storekeeper R.P. Munday applied
for a post office and submitted his name on the application - which was granted.
Maud became Munday by post decree.
Even in its infantcy, Munday was split
into East and West sections. In 1903 the storekeepers and businesses in West
Munday moved to East Munday, forming a single and united town. Three
years later the railroad began service and made Munday Knox County's dominant
town, although it doesn't seem to have tried to become the county seat.
statistics are not available, but the 1940 population shows over 1,500 citizens
in Munday, growing to a peak of 2,270 just ten years later. Cotton
processing was always a major economic factor, but irrigation permitted farmers
to diversify into vegetable crops. In 1971 Texas A&M University opened research
facility here. The population dropped to 1,978 in 1960, 1,762 ten years later
and 1,600 in 1990.
is something new to see every time it is visited." - Barclay