History in a Pecan ShellOriginally
the town was named Oregon City after it was settled by people from Oregon.
The town grew around the crossing of the Brazos River with the Western Trail.
With the opening of the post office in 1879 the town underwent a change of name
to Seymour after a cowboy named Seymour Munday. 1879 was a busy year with a newspaper
appearing, the first store opening and the post office opening.
abbreviated timeline of significant events:
1880: A stone hotel was built
and the Baylor county judge was killed.
1884: The Baylor
county courthouse was constructed when the town had a population of 500.
1890: Construction of the Wichita Valley began after citizens raised $50,000 to
pay the railroad
1892: The town corporation was dissolved because of inability
to meet obligations. Population is 1,900.
1904: Population is 1,475
Oil discovered and the town incorporated for the second time.
Seymour Area Recreation
Creek Reservoir - http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us.htm
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
or historic/vintage photos, please contact
Texas Towns | Texas
Ghost Towns | Texas Hotels
|Book Hotel Here