a Pecan Shell
Began in the 1870s
as a ranching community, it wasn’t until 1890 that the town was granted
a post office. A school opened that same year.
For thirty years (1910 to 1940) there were only ten people counted
for the census. Just after WWII
oil was discovered in the region and the population exploded to an
estimated 1,000 people, making it one of the county’s population centers.
Silver’s tiny school was replaced by a grand building which was later
turned into a hog farm when the oil reserves fell in the mid 1960s.
In 1980 the population was down to a mere 60 residents, and has since
declined to 30.
Historical Marker Text
A pioneer ranching
center, settled about 1880. Early land owners included S.M. Conner,
W.G. Jameson and W.R. Walker. Dr. J. E. Reed for 50 years was only
physician here. R.B. Allen was outstanding civic leader.
Post office, named for peak nearby, was opened 1890 with Thomas J.
School (2 Ml. SW) was moved here and renamed Silver Peak.
Oil discovery, 1946, brought drilling, refining, employees' camps,
much growth. The town became busy oil-gas center.
After camps closed, 1966, the population declined.
|1920s Coke County
Map showing Silver and other ghost towns
Courtesy General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact