History in a
known as Fanninton, Fannintown, or Fannin Town, it was named
by transmigrating settlers from Fannin County in the early 1880s.
a log cabin school was established as well as a Methodist church. Gainesville
was the community's main source of supplies. In 1895 the town was granted their
post office and saw the opportunity to straighten out the variety of names. They
settled on Joy. The post office closed in the 1930s. The population was a mere
23 in 1914, rising to 37 in the 20s. In the early 40s it reached 150 - a number
that the town has evidently felt comfortable with ever since.
United Methodist Church historical marker|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, April 2009
Marker Text |
United Methodist ChurchThe
oldest church in the Joy community, this congregation was chartered as a Methodist
Episcopal Church, South, in April 1881, when the settlements was known as Fannin
Town. The site of the organizational meeting, now part of Joy Cemetery, was
under an oak tree west of a log schoolhouse where early services were held. The
first sanctuary was built here in 1891. From early camp meetings to the present
programs of community involvement, Joy United Methodist Church has been a vital
force in the surrounding rural area for over a century.
Clay County postal map showing Joy |
(S of Henrietta.
Below "L" in "C-L-A-Y")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office