in a Pecan Shell Named
after the town's first settler, Andrew Ammann, Ammannsville was settled by German
and Czech immigrants in the 1870s.
In 1876 the first business opened,
and by 1879 the town had a post office which operated until 1906.
John the Baptist Catholic church and a school opened in 1890. Destroyed by the
hurricane of 1909, the church was rebuilt. It burned shortly thereafter and had
to be rebuilt a second time.
Although 800 people once lived in the immediate
area, only a fraction of them actually lived in the town proper.
the community consists of the KJT Hall, the church, an old cotton gin and a few
by John Troesser, 9-6-04|
road sign |
by John Troesser, 9-6-04
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate Network|