|History in a Pecan
1906 as the railroad extended from Cuero to Stockdale,
a town was plated and a depot built. The town was originally named Bello.
But when a post office was applied for, the name was rejected by authorities for
the similarity to Bells,
Texas (Grayson County).
In 1909, the town was renamed Westhoff, to honor
William Westhoff, Sr.
Westhoff throve. 4,800 bales of cotton
were ginned at Westhoff's three gins each year. In 1913 a devastating fire destroyed
much of downtown and by 1915 the population was a healthy 475. The 1908 school
expanded in 1928 and in 1961 was one of the county's three remaining rural school
districts. From the 20s to the 50s, Westhoff had 500 residents before it started
its decline to the present 410.