TexasEscapes.comTexas Escapes Online Magazine: Travel and History
Columns: History, Humor, Topical and Opinion
Over 1800 Texas Towns & Ghost Towns
NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : ARCHITECTURE : : IMAGES : : SITE MAP : : SEARCH SITE
HOME
SEARCH SITE
ARCHIVES
RESERVATIONS
Texas Hotels
Hotels
Cars
Air
Cruises
San Antonio Hotels
Find Hotel Deals in
San Antonio
Book Today & Save
 
 Texas : Towns / South Texas :

LAS GALLINAS, TEXAS

Atascosa County, South Texas
Hwy. 281 and FM 536
About 3 Miles N of Leming
15 Miles S of San Antonio

Population: Unknown

Las Gallinas Area Hotels
San Antonio Hotels

Las Gallinas TX - St. Joseph's Catholic Church Marker
Las Gallinas TX - St. Joseph's Catholic Church Marker
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, November 2009
History in a Pecan Shell

For many years the communities of Las Gallinas and Leming have been erroneously considered as one.

A Town is Born – Again
Las Gallinas emerges from the Shadow of Leming

by Herman J. Rakowitz
Las Gallinas was settled in the mid-1800's by immigrants from Silensia, Poland.  My great grandfather purchased land and settled there with his family in 1867. Las Gallinas still exists today.  It is located approximately 3 miles north of Leming, on Hwy. 281.  The heart of the community is located at the intersection of FM 536 and Hwy. 281, and includes much of the surrounding area.  The creek that runs across 281, and then crosses FM 536 is the Las Gallinas Creek... next page >

Las Gallinas' History


Photographer Visits Las Gallinas:

Las Gallinas TX - St. Joseph Cemetery
St. Joseph Cemetery
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, November 2009
Las Gallinas TX - St. Joseph Cemetery cross
St. Joseph Cemetery cross
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, November 2009
More Texas Cemeteries
Las Gallinas TX - St. Joseph's Catholic Church site
St. Joseph's Catholic Church site
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, November 2009
Las Gallinas TX - St. Joseph's Catholic Church Marker
"St. Joseph's Catholic Church 1876-1983 Las Gallinas, Texas"
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, November 2009
Las Gallinas TX - St. Joseph's Catholic Church exterior
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, November 2009
Las Gallinas TX - St. Joseph's Catholic Church interior
St. Joseph's Catholic Church interior
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, November 2009
More Texas Churches
Las Gallinas TX - St. Joseph's Catholic Church Marker text
St. Joseph's Catholic Church Marker Text
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, November 2009

Las Gallinas' History

(As stated by a marker at the site of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church):
“St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Las Gallinas, Texas was organized as a parish in 1876 by eight families. The original families were Kasper Kalka, John Korus, Mrs. Anna Skwortz, Joseph Kindla, Sr., Mrs. Anna Salzman, Wilfred Toudouze, Victor Hug and Frank Keenas. If Sunday mass was not possible, the people would gather at the home of Kasper Kalka and recite the fifteen mysteries of the rosary and the litany of the saints. A temporary church was built of 1 x 12 boards brought from Cuero by John Kalka. The floor sills and shingles were made of native woods. Mrs. Anna Salzman , Kasper Kalka, and John Korus each donated one acre of land for the larger church which was started in 1881. Parishioners: Benjamin Arnold, Emil Arnold, and Fridelin Herr built the church. In 1896, they, with the help of Max Schuritz put in the ceiling, built a bell tower, and made the present pews. The first organ was purchased in 1913. In 1918 the main alter was purchased and the bell donated by Joseph Kindla. During that (illegible) the baptismal font, the hanging sanctua (illegible)and padding for the kneelers were donated (illegible) Mrs. Julius Espey, Sr. and Mrs. Anna Haiduk. (Illegible) the summer of 1919 a small community of Benedi (illegible) sisters came to St. Joseph’s where a two-story convent was built - the first in Texas. Three local girls joined the Benedictine Order ; Katherine Hug (Sister Benedicta), Mary Stanush (Sister Mary Christina), and Cecilia Hug (Sister Mildred). The school building was turned back to the archbishop for indebtedness in 1926, and these sisters were sent to San Antonio. Two other local girls became sisters later; Mary Espey (Sister Julie Adele) and Cecilia Rodriquez (Sister Joan Elise); and in 1931 Father Henry Hug was ordained. During the 1940’s El Carmen Catholic Church, Losoya was a mission of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church. More history can be found in the chancery archives in San Antonio. St. Joseph’s Catholic Church was destroyed by fire on December 15, 1983.”
-
Transcribed by Terry Jeanson, November 2009

Las Gallinas, Texas Area Destinations:

Leming
San Antonio - San Antonio Hotels
Pleasanton - Pleasanton Hotels
Jourdanton

More Destinations:
South Texas | Texas Towns | Texas Ghost Towns
| Texas | Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
Find Hotel Deals in
San Antonio
Book Now
 
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | TEXAS HOTELS
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | MAPS

TEXAS FEATURES
Ghosts | People | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Black History | Rooms with a Past | Music | Animals | Books
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Stores | Banks | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Drive-by Architecture | Old Neon | Murals | Signs | Ghost Signs | Then and Now
Vintage Photos

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | HOTELS | USA | MEXICO

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Recommend Us | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright ©1998-2008. Texas Escapes - Blueprints For Travel, LLC. All Rights Reserved
This page last modified: November 7, 2009