Landmarks / Attractions
has an outstanding assortment of 19th century and early 20th
century buildings. It also has a devoted group of preservationists,
local historians, an active garden club and librarians who take care
of business. It's also a Main Street City and is home to a couple
of writers, one of whom happens to be a town barber.
We have to wonder if Janice Woods-Windle (author of True Women) co-authored
a book with Charley
of Badmen, Bad Women and Bad Places) that their book would be
called Truly Bad Women.
2013 photo by Billy Hathorn, Wikimedia Commons
- Texas Theatre, c1929
R - The Palace Theatre
Photo courtesy Ken
Rudine, October 2009
1898 Nolte Bank Building designed by J. Riely Gordon
TE Photo October 2000
the hanging tree
Old postcard TE Archives
from Seguin's Interesting History
Southern Pacific Railroad Depot
Razed in 1987
Pacific Railroad Depot c. 1910
Razed in 1987
The beautiful Seguin Railroad Station was demolished in the late
1980s when the railroad determined that vacant stations along their
line were liabilities. No consideration was given to relocation,
although the city would've gladly cooperated.
Photo courtesy TXDoT
When the railroad was the primary economic force in Seguin, a rail
line one mile long was extended to downtown to convey people and
parcels downtown. This mule-driven line was Seguin's only public
transportation system. In addition, the hotels that were in operation
at that time had their private hacks which were forerunners to our
so-called "courtesy cars" of today.
It's what was for dinner in California
In 1854, a Seguinite named Michael Erskine made trail driving history
when he drove 1000 head of cattle from Guadalupe County to California.
That's right, California. No explanation was given for this destination,
but we're sure the cattle were put to good use. A few years later,
one Andrew Erskine was killed at Antietam, but we don't know if
it was a son or brother of Michael.
- Manhunt to the Red River
The Seguin Garden Club is one of the few in the State of
Texas to have a Texas Brands Inspector buried on their grounds.
By brands, of course we mean cattle brands. There was a bit of brand
changing going on in the area in 1877. The Inspector - a man named
Henry Holmes Batey made a request to inspect a rancher's cattle
as they were about to be driven across the Guadalupe River. The
man refused and while Henry later napped with his eyes shaded by
his hat, he was shot in the head.
His brother trailed the cowardly assassin all the way to the Red
River. After he returned he would only say that he saw the man ride
into the river heading toward Indian Territory. He was silent when
asked if the man made it to the other side.
sites and homes
- The Seguin Chamber of Commerce has a map of historic sites
and homes and another on sites featured in the book True Women.
Contact the chamber (1-830-379-6382) for a complete list of the
nearby attractions to Seguin.
Seguin Driving Tour
as well as the
Tour were put together by Wilton Woods, brother of the author
of True Women. Mr. Woods has done extensive research on Seguin's
architecture and visits his hometown several times a year from his
home in New York.
Seguin Tourist and Local Information
Seguin Chamber of Commerce: 427 N. Austin Street
1-830-379-6382 Website: http://seguintx.org.
Book Hotel Here Seguin
At one time, back in the early '80s, the Highway Department sign
at Woman Hollering Creek actually did read Woman Hollow Creek. It
stayed that for about a year until somebody got through to the folks
who put up the signs & told them what the name of the creek actually
was. This was when there was an effort to identify the names of
all the rivers, creeks, & draws in the state & put road signs with
the names on them. There are a lot of 'Five Mile Creek,' 'Fifteen
Mile Creek,' & similar signs, because some of the creeks didn't
have actual names. They were called "that creek you cross five miles
out of town on the County Seat road."
Along State 16 below San Antonio there's Macho Creek. This has nothing
to do with the modern usage of the word 'macho.' 'Macho' is the
Spanish word for a gelded mule.
There's a creek in Seguin, tributary to the Guadalupe, that apparently
has never had a name. At any rate, when the state tried to find
out the name of the creek so a sign could be put up, no one--not
even the oldest folks in town--could remember the creek ever having
a name. - C. F. Eckhardt, September 06, 2006
Escapes November 2000 Feature Town
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact