in a Pecan Shell
The families of
Lawrence Pike and Augustin Heard, arrived here from Williamson County
around 1876. It is believed that John Reagan is the community’s namesake.
Reagan exploited the natural springs that had been released in the
1880s by a well-digger named J. H. Hammer.
It was Reagan that built the community’s first hotel – a two-story
edifice that was expanded into a health resort by subsequent owners.
In 1912 a general store was built across from the wells with a post
office. The 1914 population was a mere 50 (permanent residents).
After declining to 20 residents, the community remained at that level
through the Great Depression and WWII.
After the war the bathing facilities closed and in 1970 the post office
shut it’s doors.
In the early 1970s an all-Christian nonprofit organization called
the Steps of Faith Ranch took over ownership of the former resort.
It remains today as a rehabilitation center for troubled youths. The
population for both 1990 and 2000 was 20.
Reagan Wells, Texas
Second Community on FM-1051 of the 3 visited (Aldine,
Reagan Wells and Heard). Still quite
a few homes in this community. Only 1 of the 3 I would call still
active. Even though this Marker
is located in Reagan Wells it probably goes more with the next communty
down the road- Heard, TX. - William
Beauchamp, June 2010
Dry Frio Canyon
Area's first settlers--families
of Louis Bohme, Charles Jones, Gus Heard and Lawrence Pike Heard--
arrived in 1875 in search of new frontiers and range lands.
The first post office was called Heard, as was the first school, which
opened in 1880.
While digging a well in 1885, T. H. Hammer discovered area's mineral
water which became famous for medicinal qualities. He later sold his
property to a promoter named Reagan who built a bath house and hotel
to sell mineral water.
Baptist Church, founded 1906, was first local house of worship.
County map showing Reagan Wells.
(N of Uvalde. Above "A"
Photo courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact