in a Pecan Shell|
The town was named for Oliver English, who
settled here in the early1850s with his uncle Simeon English. The two (with other
families) established plantations, the largest of which was 2,000 acres.
post office operated at English from 1890 to 1906, when it closed and mail was
routed from Annona. Over the years the population
has remained small - but remarkably stable. From 100 in 1910, the estimated number
of citizens has remained at 92 from 1920 through 2008.
1907 Red River County Postal map showing English|
(Above "V-E" in
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact